Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Giving Thanks and a Santa Sighting

Mark says Thanksgiving is the best holiday, because it's about simply family and togetherness, without the distraction of material gifts. I would have to agree with him (even though I LOVE presents!) We spent Thanksgiving day at my grandparents' house, not a new sight for us. Thanksgiving at Grammy's is a tradition that gets better and better every year, especially since Mark has been at our table these past few. My grandmother is a phenomenal cook, and she put out her usual incredible spread even though this year's meal was shared with a total of only 6 family members. (Sorry, everyone else's grandma, my grammy makes the BEST stuffing!) Turkey, gravy, Italian stuffing, regular stuffing, corn, braised brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, cranberry chutney, not to mention 3 pies- 2 Pumpkin Chiffon (affectionately known as "pumpkin shrivel" to her grandchildren), and 1 apple pie. (If you do the math on that, you will see that each person was allotted up to one-half of a pie.) She outdid herself once again. On Thanksgiving weekend we surely had full bellies and full hearts. We have so very much to be thankful for!
My cousin gave the blessing at our very thankful table 
Even though we were nowhere near a shortage of food, I couldn't help but make a few things to bring along to share. The first- Lentil Walnut Pate. This appetizer spread tastes rich and complex, and I am told is suggestive of the traditional liver pate; although I presently cannot say I've tasted liver to compare.
Lentil Walnut Pate
Lentil Walnut Pate
Recipe courtesy of Terry Walters
Ingredients:
1 cup brown or green lentils
1 1/2 cups water
2 onions, chopped
1 cup walnuts
Ume plum vinegar (can substitute red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
Olive oil

Preparation:
  1. Walnuts- Roast at 300 degrees F for 12-14 minutes, or until fragrant.
  2. Lentils- Rinse. Place in a pot with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 35-40 minutes, until water is absorbed.
  3. Onion- Saute in olive oil until soft and translucent, about 6 minutes.
  4. Place walnuts, lentils, and onion in a food processor with a few dashes of vinegar. Process until smooth. Add up to 1 tbsp olive oil until desired consistency is reached.
  5. Season with salt, pepper, or additional vinegar to taste. Serve with pita chips or veggies.
A few months ago, I stumbled upon beautiful photos of a cake made by food blogger Joy the Baker. Chocolate Beet Cake with Beet Cream Cheese Icing. I couldn't get it out of my mind, so I baked it for Thanksgiving weekend. It did live up to my high expectations. It's awesome. No, it does not tastes like beets! The true test- Mark the Beet Hater loved it! It is rich and chocolatey, and not too sweet.
wicked chocolate beet cake
Find the recipe for this unusual, gorgeous, scrumptious cake here.

The Friday after Thanksgiving is a very special day in my grandparents' town: Santa arrives to turn on the town Christmas lights and welcome the children to sit on his knee and share what they want for Christmas. The last time I got to see it was before I can remember, so I was thrilled to be in town for him this year. What's so special about Santa's visit? Besides a parade complete with boy scouts and high school band, his sleigh with real ponies, and his speech at the Town Hall...  

Spoiler Alert!

Santa is none other than MY Grandpap!
Here comes Santa Claus!
It is a really neat feeling to stand amidst hundreds of people awaiting the arrival of your grandfather on a sleigh. I felt like a celebrity. After Grandpap-- I mean, Santa-- lit up the town, the crowd followed him into the town hall and got in a huge maze of a line for children to sit on his knee. Mark and I got to skip the line and were led a back way to see him after I told the right person, "I'm Santa's granddaughter." Star treatment. Really.

When Santa returned home to Mrs. Claus, he still had plenty of energy to invite us to sit on his knee!

Mark reminds me of Buddy the Elf in this photo
Someone couldn't wait to tell Santa what he wants for Christmas...

Wishing you a season of great family time and the most delicious food!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fabulously delicious time! And after all these years... I never knew you were a direct relative of Santa Claus!!!

    ReplyDelete