Thursday, February 23, 2012

Brussel Sprouts for Cousin

This veggie post is in honor of my cousin Kevin, on his birthday! Kevin never met a brussel sprout he didn't love. Sauteed, cheese and mushroom soup-covered, steamed, bacon-rubbed, or my personal favorite... roasted, of course!

Brussel sprouts are only lovable. These mini cabbages with cancer-fighting properties reveal an earthy, sweet flavor when cooked. My favorite way to prepare brussels are to cut in half, tray up with some onion and butternut squash, toss in a sweet and savory Maple Balsamic Dressing, salt and pepper, and roast at 375 for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and beautiful.

Maple Balsamic Dressing
1/2 cup garlic oil (Wegman's Basting Oil... what else? or use olive oil and 1 crushed garlic clove)
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 heaping tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Makes about 1 cup.

 

I am so glad I came to love the sprouts. I didn't always like them, but every year at Thanksgiving I saw Kevin eat them at Grammy's. He and Grammy were usually the only ones to partake. The rest of us turned up our noses. Brussel sprouts are a very rejectable vegetable.

How I was as a child (with curlier hair)
How Kevin looked to me (not actually him)
But now, I can't get enough! Thanks for the inspiration, Kev. I miss you, but I trust you are eating well in State College, and I promise I am doing the same here in Keene.

Grab some maple syrup and happy brussel-roasting!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Morgan, you are the best cousin. I think I might make this recipe tomorrow. This fits right in with my Lenten vegan lifestyle. Thanks, cuz. Love you!

    ReplyDelete